Monday, February 7, 2011

Handmade checkers game - black pieces

Now that I´m confident that some sort of checker board is possible, I´m moving back to the pieces. I need to work out a black piece and then I can see what size of board will allow the black pieces to stand out OK against the backgrounds. I´ve settled on some sort of boat design for the black pieces. Left is the original design.

Then I draw over the main parts of the design in 2B pencil.

Then the design is put face down on the lino and rubbed on the back with a pencil to press the pencil markings onto the lino.


The transferred design is very faint (and in mirror image, of course), but it is clear enough to redraw over OK.





The design is then carved, and cut out with scissors. The lino is stiff to cut, but its not hard to do. I usually cut a deep line along the line I want to cut out with scissors.




Here is the stamp printed on fabric with fabric paint. I´m really happy with how it turned out. The final printing will be just a bit darker. The reverse side of thie piece (the side that is turned over when the piece is queened), will be a cutter sailing boat.

Mt Lytton (I think), near Christchurch, South Island, NZ

No comments: